The Sock Diary

Musings of a part-time Sweaty Sock.

Monday, May 30, 2005

Outliners

Dave Winer is a huge proponent of outlining. I understand it is taught from the outset in US schools as a way of organising and planning just about anything. I have been using OmniOutliner on the Mac, and I like it. It's a note taker, which allows you to brainstorm, then you can iterate over it to arrange your thoughts into a hierarchical list, or just do it as hierarchical from the outset. Not being trained in the art of outlining, I'm sure there are better ways to use it, but I'm learning. Used it yesterday to good effect for the Great Garage Partioning Project, upon which I shall update you later (be still your beating heart).

I have also played with ShadowPlan on the PC, but found it a bit clunky.

Hunting about the web I found a page on outliners for the Palm OS. It looks a bit old, but has a wealth of links to various outliners out there, including some PC and Mac ones.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:19 pm, Anonymous Dan V. said…

    You might want to check out the expanding brain wiki - www.expandingbrain.com/wiki. We're building a list of outliners for all platforms there.

     
  • At 8:54 pm, Blogger PartTimeSock said…

    Thanks Dan. Will do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home