The Sock Diary

Musings of a part-time Sweaty Sock.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Whither VoIP?

I have Skype and I love it. Secure (256bit) instant messaging at work and at home, secure "telephone" calls, that mostly sound better than the phone. Downloads in a couple of mins and installs in less than a min on a PC or a Mac with NO faffing. No spyware, and it's free. What's not to like? (There's a Linux client as well, but I haven't tried that.)

So these guys seem to have seen the writing on the wall.... But wait! Maybe the MPAA/RIAA equivalent for Telcos is starting small with trying to criminalise VoIP in Costa Rica. If I was a betting man, I would bet that the telco's round the world will be watching how this pans out like hawks (and maybe financing ICE's attempts to get the legislation through?). If they see a new angle from what transpires in Costa Rica, will they use it to try to stop the US calling VoIP a "data service that should not be regulated" again?

It seems to me that current Big Business strategy for something that might change the business model is "suppress it".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home