The Sock Diary

Musings of a part-time Sweaty Sock.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Trying to Explain Podcasting

Poor Gerald at G-Wh!z loses it with confused publishers.

Have to admit Gerald, I'm having trouble explaining it to my guys too. They dictate a morning report to some poor secretary every morning and then have it compiled in a pdf and emailed out to every client. How difficult is it to understand that they could record the dictation and deliver a sound file automatically (podcast it) to the clients and point them at a website for the supplementary material?

Warning: rant mode engaged.
  • The clients get free mp3 players setup like Christopher Carfi suggests in his podcast

  • our clients get to LISTEN to our reports on the way into work

  • can link off their Blackberry/Treo/Pocket PC/K700/whatever to our "show notes", graphs and shit on decently viewable blog, rather than pick up a choddy great PDF off their email, then phone us to say they can't read it, and we say they've got to install the older version of Acrobat cos 6.whatever has problems reading some stuff generated by blah, blah, blah.

I mean, who gives a toss? Get it in sound, get the visuals on a blog so they can read on mobiles and they'll love us: they'll do business with such a forward thinking, go-getting, ground-breaking bunch of guys... maybe. It's a worth a try isn't it? Deep breath. Apparently not. It's "too much trouble" and "one more thing to maintain".

I will not give up. I got a wiki in there by skunkworks which everyone uses now, and I'll damn well get this in by hook or by crook. Yeah, goddamnit, I'm pumped. I feel like the Dean (or Senior Wrangler?) of Unseen University. Bonsai! Rant Mode disengaged (why the hell is it disengaged? Shouldn't it be disgaged? I mean - why?).

3 Comments:

  • At 3:00 am, Blogger Gerald Buckley said…

    I've had the satisfaction of being right (and the "doh!" of being wrong) early in the cycle enough times to know there are plenty of opportunities. If not now... then later. If I'm right... these guys will remember it and we'll have a laugh. If I'm wrong... we'll still get a laugh.

     
  • At 10:54 am, Blogger James Mc Parlane said…

    Not eveyone likes the sound of their voice :)

     
  • At 11:24 am, Blogger PartTimeSock said…

    Good point though, James. Most people hate the sound of their own voice (allegedly). That's a bona fide "barrier to entry". Maybe I could convince the guys to hire Joanna Lumley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_Lumley) to do the morning news ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home